Facebook Badge

Friday, June 12, 2009

I LOVE THE SMELL OF CHEMO IN THE MORNING...

Hi Friends,

That's one of my favorite lines from The Bucket List! If you haven't seen it , just disregard the title of my post for today. But I said those words this morning upon waking. We were up really late last night due to Bible study at our house from 7-9 p.m. And then I was doing my typical pre-chemo nesting. I felt the need to stock up on groceries for my family. So, Annie -- Bless her heart! -- went with me late last night. We were checking out our groceries around midnight at Ralph's. But I got all the staples bought, and that did make me feel better. We have dinners brought from our church members for chemo weeks, so I just needed to get breakfast/lunch/snack items. However, with a large family (and Cameron whose stomach seems to be a black hole these days) -- even that much shopping can be a large undertaking!

So, this morning I was VERY tired and not all that thrilled about going to chemo. But go we did! I've been meditating on 2 Bible passages to get me through this.

First -- "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing."
2 Tim 4:7 That gives me the peace of knowing that God understands how hard life can be, and it helps me to focus on heaven -- my true home.

Second -- "He MAKES me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul." Psalm 23:2-3. Sometimes we need a forced rest to reprioritize.

Anyway, I put on my big-girl panties and went to chemo after sending my two oldest off to school. Bill stayed home in the morning with Nate and Isaac. Annie took me to chemo.

Chemo was at 9:45 and it went well. The only glitch was that the first vein they tried didn't like the IVs. It had good flow, but I was in constant pain while it ran. So, they ended up changing my IV site, and the second attempt was much better.

We finished chemo shortly after noon. We stopped at Yolanda's for lunch. Thanks, Annie! I usually try to get one good meal in while the IV anti-nausea meds are still on board. I also had a margarita with lunch. I rarely drink, but it sure did hit the spot. It was funny, though -- I felt the need to explain to my waitress why I was drinking at noon. Like she really cared!

Bill had picked up Cameron from school at 12:30. He is doing finals, so he gets out early for the next and last 4 days of school. He also solved a clothing crisis for Molly at school by delivering clean clothes in the morning to Hillside. There's never a dull moment around here! Unfortunately, Bill had to go into work today, even though it was supposed to be his day off! So, he left Cam in charge of the two boys and left for work by 1 p.m. Annie and I got home shortly after and they were doing well.

Molly got done with school at the usual time (3 p.m.), and Annie went to pick her up. Nate and Isaac went over to Judi's to play this afternoon, and I spent most of the afternoon sleeping. I feel very depleted, fatigued, and nauseous. I thought I'd do this to try and take my mind off my stomach. Our new little kitty slept with me all day. She is so sweet. And Cameron took very good care of me. He answered my phone, checked on me frequently, and brought me whatever I needed.

Molly and Annie went to a dance recital in Thousand Oaks tonight. Their friend, Regina, is dancing in it. They left around 5 p.m. -- I think, because I was still sleeping! Isaac is spending the night at Judi's tonight. (Shirlene hurt her back, so she has been off of work and not in Simi this week!) Bill got home around 8 p.m. He, Cameron, and Nate went to Target. Bill needs to pick up (what else?!) meds and the boys want to shop with their allowance money. It's payday!

I am going to lay back down in bed and snuggle with the kitty. I will probably watch some TV until I get sleepy again.

Annie took some pictures of me at lunch, so I'll have her add them to this later when she gets home. At this point, we've decided that she pretty much lives here. And once again, I say I'm blessed to have such wonderful friends! Yesterday, I read a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson. He said, "The ornaments of a house are the friends that frequent it!" And that is so true!

More when I'm up to it ... Thanks for all your prayers. I have FAITH that these next 6 rounds of chemo will put me into complete remission.

Much Love,
Michele

No comments: