Facebook Badge

Sunday, April 5, 2009

ENTHUSIASM ...

Thought for the day ... "Enthusiasm releases the drive to carry you over obstacles and adds significance to all you do." -- Norman Vincent Peale

Hi Friends,

I returned from the women's retreat, and I definitely got some clarity on life as well as the transitions I've been going through from an able-bodied to disabled person. I had already been trying to focus on my blessings rather than losses, but I left the retreat center more encouraged to do so! Life really is all about change, and everyone is going through something. But we are all verbs, not nouns -- and everyone is in the process of becoming someone or growing into the challenges of their life. So, I have decided that I (much like a child) spend too much time whining about and trying to figure out the plan. I realize now that God has the plan, and it's my job to trust Him -- not analyze his plans and suggest alternate endings! God has always given me enough grace for the moment ... I need to worry less about what happens next and take one day at a time ... one hour at a time ... one minute at a time if necessary ! This is a great reframing process for the current situations of my life ... More Later on that!

We had a good time, and spent the weekend at a beautiful retreat center in Encino. We arrived back this afternoon, and I was greeting by my sweet and adoring family. Life had gone on as usual ... Bill had cut back numerous trees in our backyard jungle, knocking out the neighbors' cable inadvertantly. Oops! Nate and Isaac were swinging like Tarzans on a zip line that they had constructed in the backyard out of bungee cords over the pool. Dads are much more fun than Moms! Cam was pacing in the front yard, and Molly needed help with her homework.

In essence, it was the usual chaos. But I was calm and at peace. I explained to the kids that I was not feeling well, and I went and lay down in my room. I'm battling an infection, which seems to have brought my usual lupus headache back to its previous painfulness. I lay down in my dark bedroom for two hours. Cam and Molly brought me Bo Bo (our loving cat), and we spent some time talking in the dark about summer jobs they might be looking for. After that, I rested and woke up refreshed. It was the kind of retreat where they keep you busy, so I hadn't gotten much sleep!

Now I am going to help Molly with her Poetry Book homework, which is a blessing because I love poetry. (Remember, I was an English minor!) Then we'll have some dinner.

More tomorrow ... I'm going to have a kidney/bladder CT scan in the A.M.

Love,
Michele

No comments: