Facebook Badge

Thursday, June 24, 2010

A QUIET HOUSE????

Hi Friends,

I didn't get around to blogging yesterday. I took Cameron to the dentist. That in itself is a small victory for me...I am completely off narcotics and able to drive for short distances. Cameron got 3 out of his 9 cavities filled -- so only 2 more visits left. And then of course, I need to see the dentist as do the other 3 kids. It's a good thing I like our new dentist as we may be spending a lot of the summer at his office. Makes me miss the days when I had 2 uncles who could be my dentist:-)

After getting home with Cam yesterday, Shirlene came and picked up Brandon who had been staying with us since Saturday. She brought a big bag of food from Taco Bell and was mobbed by starving children. Bill is feeding us very healthy food, and although I appreciate it -- the kids tend to think they're missing out on something.

So, after chatting with Shirlene for a while -- she headed off for Palmdale with 3 boys, Brandon, Nate and Isaac. They are staying there until Saturday when Bill will pick them up. The house seems oddly quiet with only 2 children. I'm sure the break will be good for my health (mentally and physically). But I guess after all these years and 4 children, I've learned to embrace the chaos.

Isaac (being the youngest and 7 years old now) had the hardest time dealing with my illness. He seemed to adapt by becoming even closer to me. Now he tells me that, "One good thing about having a sick Mom is that you're always available to snuggle." So, I was proud of him -- that he wanted to go, and he seems to be doing OK. I am getting a lot of cell phone calls from him, though. And he had one tough moment last night at bedtime when he called and said, "I don't think I can do this...I feel funny." But he was easily talked down via phone and text messages. I love to text message him, because it helps him with his reading. I just have to be careful to type out the whole word rather than using texting shortcuts.

So, this morning, I managed to sleep in until 9 a.m. when Cam's cell phone alarm woke me up. It doesn't seem to have the same effect on him though. It's currently almost 2 p.m. and my 2 teenagers are still sleeping. I usually make them wake up at noon, because I tend to need their help by then. But I've decided to leave them be, so that they can enjoy the time without the little monsters/angels.

I took the big step of completely canceling my housecleaners today. At my sickest, they were coming every week. Then we switched them to every other week. Now I've found that with the kids home for the summer, we can keep the home in decent condition. The kids do the laundry, dishes, and daily upkeep. And I can clean one room or two per day. I move slowly and view it as my daily exercise as I'm not allowed to go outside. And it will save money while making me feel more like a productive member of our family, if not society. I never thought I'd be so glad to be able to keep my own house clean:-) An illness really can change your perspective on things. Like I've said in the past...lupus truly is the gift that keeps on giving!!

So, I'm off to shower and do a few things around the house. Yesterday, I cleaned the little boys bathroom and walk-in closet (technically part of the master suite -- so they're both huge). That was a challenge as it looked like a Tornado (or Tornater) had hit both areas. I don't think I have the energy to do their room while they're gone (plus they made the mess and should clean it up) ... so I think I'll help Cam and Molly with their rooms if they ever wake up. Maybe after my shower?

Have a great day:-) For all of my prayer warriors, please pray for Bill as he looks for a more reasonable rental that will suit our needs as we spend the next few years building on the land.

Much Love,
Michele

No comments: