Facebook Badge

Sunday, July 26, 2009

A-SHOPPING WE WILL GO !!!

Hi Friends!

Today I had one goal -- just one thing that needed to be accomplished. We desperately needed groceries. And although Bill went out last night on an emergency milk run, we were pretty much running out of everything! So, today I was determined to hit the 99 cents store and Smart and Final. It didn't seem like a lot, but somehow it consumed my entire day.

I managed to drag myself out of bed by about 10:30 a.m. -- not bad for me! I have been watching cooking shows on the Food Network for the past 2 weeks while being sick and in bed. So, I really wanted to make something nice for dinner. I decided on a beef stew and spent the the next hour or so prepping ingredients and getting them set up for the slow-cooker. I had woken up with a nasty headache, which required some Vicodin to get down to a tolerable level. Then since I don't drive for a while after taking the Vicodin, I did some housework, and made a menu plan/grocery list for the next two weeks. There was a time that I used to always do that before shopping, but it's been quite a few months since I've been that organized. Lately, I've adopted the wandering up and down all the aisles-style of grocery shopping. Not the best for your budget, and I also tend to forget things. So, score one for me, as I'm on Vicodin and still organized!!!

So, I took a bath and then I bribed Cam, Molly, and Nate to go shopping with me as I needed support and muscle. We left around 1:30 p.m. (Isaac was over at the Malone's as usual playing with his best buddy, Will!) As a result of my bribed help, our first stop was EB Games where Nate wanted to spend his allowance money on a Simpson's game. While he did that, I took Molly to Jamba Juice next door. Then afterwards we needed to stop at 7-11 to get Cameron junkier food. He didn't like the smoothies the rest of us got at Jamba Juice! OK -- bribery complete! Onto the missions at hand. I decided to go and buy Annie's belated birthday gift at an undisclosed location while the kids were there to help. I can't tell more about that since I know that Annie will be reading this. But I was too sick to do much other than a birthday cake on her actual birthday several days ago. And I felt bad as she is like a member of our family!!!

After that, onto the 99 cents store. We were attempting to buy any items on our grocery list we could get there -- as the price is right. We spent quite a bit of time there. We managed to buy about half of the items on our grocery list, and then -- of course, a bunch of other really cool deals we found there. Our best finds were inner tubes for the pool and spray-on sunblock. I bought 10 of the sunblocks -- it was SPF 45 and great for the kids to use while swimming!

We didn't make it home from all of that until about 5:30. Bill helped us unload the groceries and he promised to put away the refrigerated/freezer items, as we needed to leave for Smart and Final, which closes at 7 p.m. on Sunday nights. We left Nate at home, because he really wanted to play his new Simpson's game on the PS2. And Cam, Molly, and I were off to Smart and Final. We thought we only needed a few things there -- but again seemed to buy a lot. At least, I shouldn't have to grocery-shop again for 2 weeks. Except for milk and fruit which we go through very fast here!

We got home around 7 p.m. Bill had made the rice for the beef stew, so we had that for dinner along with rolls and then, cupcakes for dessert. It turned out really well, although the stew was a little garlicky for the kids. More of an adult dish! After dinner, I unpacked and put away groceries until about 9 p.m. Nate and Isaac went swimming and had a water balloon fight with Bill. Molly took a bubble bath with her new Hannah Montana bubble bath we found at the store. And Cameron was obsessed with watching shows on parasites on Animal Planet. Unfortunately, he wanted to tell me all about them, which was pretty gross -- but I tried to be polite and feign listening while "going to my happy place." The kids also put the finishing touches on Annie's present -- so Annie, we're hoping you show up tomorrow for the big surprise!

Bill is doing some last minute work on the computer, which is due tomorrow. And I am going to go lay down in bed. My legs and feet were better this morning, but after the shopping they are swollen again. And my hands have been giving me a lot of trouble. But that's the typical arthritic-type pain. It's worse in the morning, and gets better with movement during the day. I wish my headache and energy-level were better. But I am thankful that the Vicodin completely gets rid of the headache -- just wish I didn't have to take it daily. And as far as the energy- level -- I am lucky to have a supportive and helpful family!

Tomorrow, we are meeting again for our Chronic Illness small group. We've had two weeks off due to my pneumonia and then chemo. So, it will be nice to get together again. And tomorrow (well, I guess today -- at this point) is my parent's 41st wedding anniversary! I'll blog more after some sleep ....

Much Love,
Michele

No comments: