Facebook Badge

Monday, August 3, 2009

GOODBYE TO DOC!!!








Hi Friends!
We just arrived back home from Wisconsin where we bid a final farewell to my Grandpa Twohig ("Doc"). We got into Wisconsin Thursday night, and we spent the night at the Hampton Inn in Milwaukee. Since we had arrived around midnight, we went ahead and slept in on Friday morning. We got up and ready, and caught the noon shuttle back to the airport to pick up our rental car. We then drove out to Spring Lake where Bill's parents live. We had a pleasant time catching up with Bill's Mom. Then at around 4 p.m., we got ready and drove into Kiel for my Grandpa's wake.
The wake was from 4-7 p.m. on Friday night, and all of my aunts and uncles (except 1 of the 8) were there. There were also numerous cousins there with their children, and it was very nice to catch up with everyone. There was an open-casket, and my Grandpa looked very good and very peaceful. I looked at him and envisioned him walking on the streets of gold in heaven and being reunited with my Grandma and other loved ones who passed on before him.
After the wake, we went out to RiverView (a classic Kiel-style diner) for supper with my parents. Then we dropped them off at their house as they were tired, and we drove over to Grandpa Twohig's house to bond with the extended family. In Grandpa's honor, we drank Irish whiskey and told stories about him. We stayed until about midnight, and everyone was so glad that we had come! We felt very welcome and that our decision to come back to Wisconsin for the funeral was the right one!
The following morning (after not much sleep due to all the Twohig partying!), we got up quite early and picked up my parents for the funeral, which was in Eden. There was visitation at the church from 9:30-10:30 and Mass at 10:30. It was a touching tribute to my Grandpa, and I bawled my eyes out, with Bill passing tissue after tissue to me. I tried to compose myself in order to bring up the gifts (the bread/wine for communion) with Bill. We were honored to be asked to do so. The oldest male cousin of each family was a pallbearer, which was also special to watch.
After Mass, we drove to Armstrong where my Grandpa was buried alongside my Grandma (who had died in 1988) and their infant son, Michael, who would have been their 9th child. There was a bagpiper accompanying the coffin. And my father was presented with the flag for my Grandpa's time in service. (By the way, he had received a purple heart during his time in World War II.) I took the time to lay my hand on the coffin before it was lowered and say my final goodbyes. Saying goodbye to my Grandpa was like closing a chapter on my childhood! I think that's why his funeral was so hard for me to get through, but also why I felt it was necessary to be there. My aunts and uncles kept saying that they couldn't believe I came, and I told them,"I had to --- Grandpa and Grandma were a huge part of my childhood!"
We then drove back to Eden where the Christian Mothers served a luncheon for all the people who had come to the funeral. Wisconsin food is so good! I'm not setting foot on a scale for at least a week! The desserts, especially, were unbelievable!
The pictures that I posted above were taken at Dundee, where we went next. This was "Uncle Joe's" -- my Grandpa's uncle and godfather's land. It was left to Grandpa Twohig who really treasured it! He had a camper out there that he would often stay in. So, most of us met there as a family and drank a toast or two (or 3, in my case) of Irish whiskey to the Doc! There was Irish music playing in the background. It was really nice. He would have liked it -- as it was a fitting tribute to a farmer/doctor.
We then went back to my parents house where I promptly fell asleep. I'm not sure if it was the early wake-up, the 3 shots of whiskey, my meds, or a combination of all of the above. But I woke up on the sofa at around 6 p.m. to hear Bill and my parents discussing dinner plans. We decided to go Mexican, and I continued the celebratory mood with a margarita! After dinner, we went back to my parent's house until midnight!
Sunday morning we slept in (finally!), and then spent a relaxing day just hanging out with Bill's parents. We hadn't seen his Dad at all until Sunday. It was really nice to catch up with them. We had a fire in their fire pit, and we really enjoyed the beauty of their land -- which is on Spring Lake. They have their own pond and much wildlife there! However, we are really looking forward to their move to Arizona (which will happen after they sell this house), because we will be able to see them more often. They are very excited about having a more active role in our kids' lives!
This morning we got up at 6 a.m. (WI time) -- yes, that's 4 a.m. our time, and drove to the Milwaukee airport. We got there early enough to buy some Wisconsin souvenirs for the kids before boarding our flight. Today we flew Northwest with a layover in Minneapolis for an hour. The flights went well although I had some interesting seatmates on the second flight. Bill and I weren't seated together on that one. Luckily, I had 2 more scotches at the layover, so the weirdos didn't bother me too much. And no, I am not usually a big drinker -- but this was a good Irish wake/funeral, and Bill said it needed to last all weekend!
When I got home all the kids and their babysitters were thrilled to see me! Imagine that :-) Annie had made a roast beef dinner, which was nice to come home to. The kids are now off in bed, and Bill and I will join them soon. My only plans for tomorrow are laundry and a doctor's appointment. I need to go into the oncologist's office tomorrow for a blood draw. Hopefully, my blood counts are good since I've been traipsing all over the country!
More tomorrow... I even have more pictures... But it's late ... And I'm tired!
Much Love,
Michele

No comments: