Facebook Badge

Saturday, January 30, 2010

ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL YESTERDAY!!!

Hi Friends!

Just a quick update -- After 24 hours of chest pain, severe headache, vomiting, and other signs of another lupus flare, Dr. Cohen had me come into his office to be checked out yesterday at 5:45 (after he was done with his lower-maintenace patients). Bill took me in and Annie stayed in Oxnard with the kids. After seeing me and doing a thorough exam -- he sent us directly over to Los Robles Hospital for admission.

He and the other doctors have decided that my over-active immune system is currently attacking my brain, heart, lungs, joints. My hair is falling out again, too. I'm being treated for dehydration and vomiting with IV fluids and Zofran. I started IV Solumedrol (high-dose steroids) today and will do them for the next 3 days. That should help with my lupus symptoms! I've done a bunch of fun and invasive tests. Also had a new and improved PICC line placed. It took 8 tries to access a major vein, but it was well worth it! I look like the Bionic Woman. It has 3 tubes coming out of my arm -- 1 for blood draws, 1 for IV fluids or steroids, and 1 for pain meds. It can stay in for more than 4 months. At that point I'll switch to a central line or port -- which requires surgery -- bu can stay in forever!


If all goes well, I am hoping to go home on Sunday or Monday. In order to do this, they would need to see improvement in my brain, heart, and lungs. And I need to be able to eat and keep it down, as well as walk and talk normally. No children under age 16 are allowed to visit the hospital due to a surge of the H1N1 flu, so I won't be able to see 3 out of my 4 kids until I get home. That makes me sad :-( And I heard Isaac wasn't taking it well either!

After my release -- hopefully sooner rather than later -- I will need to do my chemo on an outpatient basis ASAP. Bill brought me Isaac's netbook tonight, so I will try and keep you up-to-date. Thanks, Isaac, for sharing with your sick Mom.

Annie has spent almost all week with us, and then she spent all day at the hospital with me. Bill stayed all last night with me, and tonight he came from 10 p.m.-1a.m., when I insisted he go home to be with the kids. I am on the oncology unit and have great nurses and care. By the way, it truly is a small world! One of my nurses is originally from Green Bay, WI. She was friends with the children of Dr. Baus -- the dentist who shared an office with my Grandpa Twohig who was an M.D.

Good night and God Bless !!
Much Love,
Michele

P.S. -- HAPPY 65TH BIRTHDAY, GRANDMA LU!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ON YOUR TRAVELS!!!

1 comment:

2Bears said...

you're in our thoughts and prayers as always. happy birthday lu! -L