Facebook Badge

Monday, December 14, 2009

BYE BYE PICC LINE!!!

Hi Friends!

It's been a busy few days and everytime I had a chance to blog, someone else was on the computer. So, I'll try to catch you up on Friday through Monday.

On Friday we had an early appointment (8 a.m.) with Cam's guidance counselor. We happily found out that he hadn't failed psychology. His grades were all B's and C's. I was impressed due to the fact that he's taking college prep classes this year. He probably could have gotten A's and B's, because he had a lot of missing work. He needs to develop a little more iniative in working with and being sure of what the teacher's expectations are. Friday just seemed to fly by with homeschooling and household chores. And it rained most of the day. The kids were getting a bit stir-crazy.

On Saturday it continued to rain. Bill went out grocery and Christmas shopping. And he returned home just in time for us to drive to Simi Valley for church. We went to the 5:30 p.m. service at StoneBridge. After church we ate dinner at Pizzatopia, which has a really tasty pizza buffet. When we returned home we unpacked all the groceries (we only had time to put away the cold stuff before leaving), and I wrapped up the Christmas gifts that Bill had purchased for the kids. I think we're almost done being Santa!

On Sunday, we had a restful day and just hung out at home. It wasn't raining, so I was able to take the kids for a much needed outing to the park. We watched Land of the Lost on PPV, and we all enjoyed the time together as a family.

This morning we were all tired, but Bill and Cameron went off to school and work, and the rest of us accomplished our homeschooling and chores. We were done by 3 p.m. when my nurse came.

My nurse had called in the morning and asked which doctor to call in order to get permission to remove my PICC line. I told her I had talked with Dr. Cohen and he had agreed I could keep it in until January. The reason I wanted it in was that if I get any type of infection, I will need IV antibiotics. With a PICC line, I can be treated at home rather than the hospital. I would like to avoid Christmas at the hospital. So, she said,"OK, then I won't bother him."

And then, imagine my surprise when she showed up at 3 p.m., announcing she was here to remove my PICC line. She told me not to worry -- she had called Dr. Cohen and convinced him it was OK. I was not pleased and explained to her why. I probably could have fought it and called Dr. Cohen myself, but I let her take it out. I will pray for no infections, especially as I start CellCept next week. The good news is that I can now take a shower or bath without wrapping my arm in Saran Wrap. And my arm was very irritated at the PICC line site -- so this will give it an opportunity to rest. I've decided on this plan -- if I get another infection and need IV antibiotics, I will get admitted to the hospital to get another port, and then I will go home for treatment. But please pray for no infections. That would be the better scenario!

Bill got home late tonight. He is currently making dinner. After dinner I am going to take that previously mentioned Saran Wrap-free long bath.

Much Love,
Michele

No comments: