Facebook Badge

Saturday, September 12, 2009

LIFE HAS ITS UPS AND DOWNS...

Hi Friends,

I'm doing fairly well today after treatment -- just riding the highs and lows of my steroids and blood sugar. I got a good night's sleep and woke up at 7 a.m. I checked my blood sugar, which was super-high, and so took a glyburide to lower it. Something told me ( I'm not a novice anymore) to eat a banana at the same time so that I'm wouldn't drift off into a diabetic coma back in bed. Fast forward to 9 a.m., when I wake up for real for the morning -- take my meds, and test my blood sugar again. It's 81 -- good number, but definitely good I ate the banana. So, I'm filled with steroid energy and decide we all need breakfast. I decide to make cinnamon rolls and check e-mail while they're baking. Only about 1/2 later I realize I can't think and am shaking -- blood sugar in the 40s, not good. So, I drink 2 sodas and eat 2 cinnamon rolls to get it back up to the 80s again. Bill says no more glyburide for the day. Better to keep the numbers high, than low -- I'm less likely to die. And as the steroids leave my body, the numbers should get better! If it gets super-high again, I can always take half a pill.

My mood has been fairly good. I've resisted the urge to clean the house obsessively. Instead, I talked to friends on the phone. I also received a bunch of the kids' homeschooling books today, so I lay in bed reading and researching for this year's curriculum. The timing was good on that! It gave me something to do which didn't require a lot of energy. I even managed an afternoon nap.

Mostly I'm just trying to stay in my room and rest as the steroids make me jumpy, which makes it difficult to deal with the kids even when they're just being kids. And they are being good! So, Cam and Molly are babysitting the boys nicely. Bill is in Simi (for hopefully the last time)finishing up on the house. He should be back in a few hours.

Tomorrow, Bill, Nate, and Isaac are going on a deep-sea fishing trip on a chartered boat. It's through Cam's old Boy Scout trip in Simi, but it's really not Cam's type of thing. For, Bill, Nate, and Isaac, however, it's a dream come true! Hopefully, it will be a nice time of bonding, and I can even count it as a home-schooling field trip, since we were off to a slow start this week.

I am now going to go back to bed and rest some more. I am hoping to take it easy today and tomorrow, and then maybe be back to somewhat normal by Monday. Annie says she'll come back on Monday if I need her. I really do have the best friends EVER :-)

Much Love,
Michele

P.S. -- Hopefully, tomorrow Bill can post some deep-sea fishing pictures of him and the boys!

No comments: