Facebook Badge

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

FIRST DAY OF HOMESCHOOLING/MEDICAL SURPRISES

Hi Friends!

Today did not turn out at all as I expected -- but then you know what they say about the "best laid plans!" Annie arrived early in the morning, and we left for my appointment with Dr. Cohen at 9 a.m. The good news is that I am actually closer to his new office from my new home. It takes about 20 minutes to get there rather than the 30 minutes it used to. I talked with Dr. Cohen about my worsening headaches and the pain is severe again in my joints. So, he decided we needed to start Solumedrol (high-dose IV steroids) again ASAP. He is not sure whether we will continue with the Cytoxan or not as he is not sure it's helping. He was calling Dr. Menco (the oncologist) and Dr. Karpouzas (from UCLA) to get a group consensus. So, he sent me off with orders to get more lab tests -- the usuals before they blast me with all the toxic stuff. We went to the lab to get that done. Isaac had come along as he tends to worry about me when I go to the doctor's. We hit 7-11 on the way home, and then went to Taco Bell to bring lunch home for the home-schoolers who had been patiently waiting for me. Bill had stayed with Nate and Molly for a while, and then went off to work, leaving them home alone.

We had a nice lunch, and worked on some plans and class rules for homeschooling. Then we went to Home Depot to buy plants for our science project. We discussed the plants and planted 8 plants for Nate/Isaac's room. They got really into it:-) And we planted the two window boxes in our upper windows -- the laundry room and Cameron's room. Also, we planted a pretty pot for our front porch and our patio. That took quite a bit of time. After that the kids did their reading and some more schoolwork.

And then -- I received a call from Bill. My doctors called him to tell him that Solumedrol ASAP means they have scheduled me for 10:15 a.m tomorrow morning. Wait a minute -- what about my planning and my nesting? How will everyone survive without me for 3 days? But, I am blessed because Dr. Menco has agreed to do it in his office, so I won't have to be admitted to the hospital. I will get all the details on it from the doctors tomorrow -- as far as whether I need to do the Cytoxan, too. Dr. Cohen is now talking about an experimental treatment for lupus that may work for me at UCLA -- but that's up to Dr. Karpouzas. I have an appointment at UCLA on Sept. 28th and then back to Dr. Cohen on Sept. 30th for the new master plan. I really do trust my doctors though -- they are all great. So, I took a tranquilizer to deal with my unexpected news and decided to trust God! He knows what I need and will give me the faith/grace to deal with it all.

Tonight Bill and Nate are at Simi Valley loading the last of the last of the stuff -- I hope. We sign papers and close escrow on Thursday of the week. So, all of our stuff needs to be out and the house needs to be ready by 11 p.m. I hope they will get most of it done tonight.

Annie is spending the night, and she will take me to my oncology appointment tomorrow. Bill will have the homeschoolers. And Cameron will be the only one having a normal day at Channel Islands High School. Lucky him!

Funny story: Cameron still doesn't have a locker at his high school. He bought a lock and got a receipt for it. And he was supposed to turn in the receipt and get assigned a locker. But he couldn't figure out how to do it. So, today after school, Bill went and helped him stand in the very long line after school with tons of other kids. After waiting 45 minutes, and with about 75 people left in the line --- the announcement was made --"We're out of lockers. Come back tomorrow!" Apparently they'll have more lockers tomorrow. I truly don't get it. But Cameron will be standing in that line every day after school until he gets one. We told him he needs to get there as quick as possible tomorrow now that he knows where to go. So, even poor Cameron has some stress these days!

I'll write more tomorrow after my treatment if I'm up for it. The steroids are bad. They give you frantic energy and make you very emotional. But Please God, I just need the headaches to go away!

Much Love,
Michele

No comments: