Facebook Badge

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A BUMP IN THE ROAD...

Hi Friends,

I couldn't blog yesterday because yesterday was crazy. The high of getting some good news from Dr. Cohen Monday morning was overshadowed by the sounds of children coughing and crying and having fevers late Monday - early Tuesday morning. So, I got up Tuesday morning and instead of driving to T.O. to get my chemo meds -- I drove Cam and Isaac to Urgent Care. Nate stayed home. Bill went to work. Molly went to school.

Well, I got to Urgent Care and was immediately surrounded by a full waiting room of puking, coughing, sneezing, contagious people. I immediately asked for a face mask to maybe protect myself a bit, and then I was stared at as if I was the contagious person.
I filled out all the paperwork, and waited -- and we finally got in and saw a very nice doctor. I don't know if it helped -- but they put me in the coldest room that they NEVER use and they sprayed the room with disinfectant before I came in. It's enough that I've already been exposed to my kids -- didn't really need more.

Cam and Isaac have strep throat. And while we were meeting with the doctor, I received the cell phone call that Molly was sick and needed to be picked up from school. The doctor said she didn't want me to have to come back and she was nice enough to write Molly a prescription without seeing her. It was pretty much a no-brainer that she had strep...

So, we left Urgent Care around noon, picked up Molly at school -- and I took all the sicklies home, fed them lunch, medicated their symptoms, and left for Thousand Oaks. I drove to my favorite pharmacy and picked up my chemo meds with no problem from Rajiv. He also filled the prescriptions for my kids, and told me to call Dr. Cohen about the strep. At the same time, the doctor from Urgent Care called my cell to say she looked again at the strep test and it was really bad -- so "you need to call your doctor, because I've been thinking about you and I'm worried..." Thanks Rajiv and new doctor -- I'm concerned, too...

So, I drove back to Oxnard and medicated everyone with their antibiotics and Cam is taking cough medicine with codeine. He's hugging me a lot -- SO, I for one, like the codeine:-) I called Dr. Cohen and he agreed we needed to medicate me preventatively... because by that time I had a slight sore throat and my chest hurt, and for me -- everything always turns into pneumonia. By that time, Bill was on his way home from work and off I went to CVS to pick up my antibiotics. I started those last night and my throat already feels better. The kids are looking somewhat better, and I'm hoping Cam and Molly can go back to school tomorrow + tomorrow night is Open House.

For today we've all been sleeping, resting, and trying to get better. I'm hoping Nate and Bill will escape the illness...that the other kids get better...and that this doesn't interfere with my shot in the butt this weekend...Thank goodness for the B-12 shot I got on Monday as it's helping with energy:-)

Much Love,
Michele

No comments: